Skip to main content

Listen To His Voice (4th Sunday of Easter)

A few years ago I went to my 40th college reunion in Minnesota. I had only seen three or four classmates a couple of times over the years. I wasn’t sure if I would recognize anyone. I was right. I didn’t recognize anyone, not even my own roommate for two years in college and who was in my wedding. I guess time changes us, at least physically.

But one thing didn’t change. Their voice. It was by listening to them talk that I could remember their names and remember who they were. Something similar happens to me in the hospital. I may be walking down the hall talking to someone and a patient from a room will call out and say “Deacon Beckel, is that you”. They heard and recognized my voice. Now I don’t think I have an accent but apparently some people notice a Minnesoota twang to my voice, ya.

In today’s Gospel we hear Jesus say “My sheep hear my voice”. “I know them and they follow me”. He is the shepherd that guides us and as long as we hear his voice we are able to follow him.

I Grew Up On A Farm So I Know A Little About What You Need To Do To Get Animals To Go Where You Want Them To. For example, cattle you can drive, chickens you just sort of usher, and sheep tend to follow you. Then there are some animals that you just can’t herd. Have you ever tried to heard a bunch of cats. It just doesn’t work. Maybe that is why you don’t hear much reference to them in the Bible.



Sheep are not like cattle that can be driven in a direction. Jesus does not try to drive us in a certain direction. He allows us to follow him by listening to his voice. We can choose to follow or not. A shepherd walks in front of his flock whistling or speaking or singing. The sheep follow along behind. As long as they can hear the shepherd’s voice they feel safe and keep following. It is only when the sheep falls behind out of reach of the shepherd’s voice is there danger of getting lost or being attacked. When Jesus says “My sheep hear my voice; I know them and they follow me” that is the image that he has in mind. He wants to stay close to us and he wants us to stay close to him.

In the Sacrifice Of The Mass today we hear Jesus speaking to us, if we choose to listen. He tells us that he offered his life for us. That he died on the cross for our salvation. At the Last Supper, he gave us food for our journey, His Body and Blood. Most importantly he tells us He rose again, redeeming our suffering and promising our own resurrection to everlasting life. This is good news. But it is good news that should not and cannot be kept to ourselves. We should be shouting it from the mountain tops. He gives us his grace, his sacraments, and He sends us into the world around us. He sends us to help Him gather the wondering and lost sheep. Our mission is to help bring them back to the flock. It is not always easy but with prayer and sacrifice, and our words and actions we can do that.

I recall the tragedy and heartbreak three years ago at the Boston Marathon. Even in the midst of such devastation and tragedy there was the outpouring of selfless love and actions that transcended the devastation. People were going above and beyond anything that was ever expected of them to help the stranger. They were following the voice of Jesus to be examples of the works of mercy. "I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me." They were following the voice of the Shepherd, Jesus.

May we always listen to His voice and follow His example. In the words of Martin Richard, the eight year old who lost his life in Boston Marathon (Remember the poster),
“No more hurting people” “Peace”.

Deacon Greg Beckel

Comments