Skip to main content

Computer News

This week I made the move to Apple and bought a MacBook Pro.  When I leave Christ the King in five weeks I need to have access to my own computer.
 
Thanks to Chris Hughes, all of my files from the office computer are now on the new computer.  I think he said there were 24,000 files moved.  I was just glad I did not have to physically move 24,000 files myself.  Just one of the advantages of  the computer age.

I did not count them but I have homilies dating to the late 1980s on file.  That's a lot of talking!  There are also files on holy week services, parish finances, parish programs we have had, personal correspondence, etc. etc.

When I was in the seminary and even in graduate school there were no such things as computers.  Memory typewriters were just being introduced.  Some (many?) of the readers of this post probably don't even remember them.

When I was writing my thesis in grad school I recall that if the director wanted one thing changed, even a foot note, almost the entire text had to be retyped.  Not today, thank God.  (and thank God I don't have to write any more dissertations)

Monsignor Hoye

Comments