Skip to main content

Packing

In about five weeks I will finish my time as Pastor of Christ the King in Mashpee.  For the last several weeks I have taken time to pack. But I have not really been packing as much as giving away and throwing away so much accumulated "stuff".  I have shed lots of books, sweaters, pictures and other things.

When I moved here ten years ago I thought I had divested myself of many things but somehow there is a lot I still have.  And it doesn't help to be the only one living in a fairly large rectory.  Things spread out.  I am amazed at how many closets and bureaus I filled.

As I tried to organize pictures and files, I found myself sitting down and looking at them.   My ordination pictures, first Mass program and homilies, photos of family and friends who are no longer with us. If I don't get more disciplined I will still be here when Father Healey comes to replace me.  I promised Father Healey that I intend to be moved by June 15 so he can have a couple of weeks to move his "stuff" to Mashpee.

I don't intend to move a lot of things to St. Marys in South Dartmouth where I will be helping out come this Fall.  But experience tells me I need to be careful.

Why do we accumulate so many "possessions"  is the subject for more than a few meditations!

Now, back to the stuff!

Monsignor Hoye

Comments