Skip to main content

The Spirit at Work: Accomplishments & Changes

This past Saturday, I returned back to the Cape for the summer.  It is hard to believe that my junior year is over – a year that went so well and so fast.  While I very much miss the people at Saint Joe’s, I look forward to these next three months on the Cape – it truly is a piece of heaven here.

With this past weekend coinciding with Pentecost, I thought of the Holy Spirit being at work in each and every one of us.  The truth is, it’s the Spirit’s work that allows us to make these accomplishments.  I don’t know where I would be without the gift of the Holy Spirit in my life.

On Sunday, at the 10:30 Mass, we celebrated “Hail and Farewell” for our altar servers heading off to college in the fall, and those who will be beginning their senior year soon.  I remember when I was in their shoes, some three years ago, heading off to college.  While I was sad to see my time come to an end, I knew that is wasn’t really “over.”  I have been able to be involved as an altar server at school, and oversee all of our liturgical ministers there.  It is always an extreme joy to see new students so eager to get involved and then watch them grow.  It’s amazing how the Spirit works.

My advice for high school seniors: stay close to God and allow the Holy Spirit to work in you.  You’ll be amazed, I promise.  Most colleges (Catholic and secular) have some sort of Campus Ministry or Newman Club, and I encourage you to get involved.  It was the single best and first thing that I did for myself.  I met so many friends, and began to get involved.  Once you start being involved, it makes it easier to get involved in other places on Campus.  It is also a great way to stay rooted in your faith.  Oh, and don't forget to visit Christ the King on your breaks from school!

On Saturday, I watched some of my first and closest friends from Saint Joe's graduate.  I remember meeting them my first week of freshman year, and it was through a Campus Ministry event.  It really is incredible how the Holy Spirit works.  Had I not gone to that event on that day, I think my life would be very, very different.

This can serve as a reminder for all: whatever "changes" we are facing in our lives, let us rely on the Holy Spirit.  Change isn't easy, but it is something we cannot avoid.  May our hearts and minds be guided by the Spirit.

Chris Hughes

Comments