Skip to main content

A Mother's Wish

Today we hear about a mother asking Jesus to command her two sons to sit at his right and left in his Kingdom (Matthew 20:20-28).  Apparently, she thought either seat would bestow greatness upon her sons.  Jesus said the seats were not his to give.  Now that’s humility.

But, isn’t the left seat reserved for the goats with the right for the sheep (Matthew 25:31-34).   I wonder about her choice.  I assume her sons did.  “Does Mom think of me as the goat and ‘accursed’ to be sent ‘into eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels’ (Matthew 25:41)?  Or, am I the favored one?" 

Perhaps they would have drawn straws.   Either way one son wins and the other loses big time.

Eternal fire aside, I’d say to my Mom, “I’ll take the left.”  I prefer smart goats to dumb sheep (my apology to sheep lovers).   Goats over sheep is our best choice as we advance towards Presidential election time.

Perhaps after further thought the mother should simply say, “It’s best you both sit at Jesus’ feet and just listen.  That way you can look him in his eyes and do what he tells you.”   Good call Mom!

Deacon David Pierce  

Comments