Skip to main content

Peace

The events in Dallas are saddening to all - and a reminder that we need to pray for peace on Earth.

As I reflect on all that has happened, the hymn "Let There Be Peace on Earth" goes through my head. Most especially the line, "Let there be peace on earth...and let it begin with me."

I think many, if not most of us, have a difficult time remembering that each and every one of us has an impact on this community, this world.  We have to be peacemakers.  Let us rely on Jesus, the Prince of Peace, to help us to build peace and harmony throughout the world.

Growing up, attending Catholic middle school, we always prayed the Prayer of St. Francis weekly.  To this day, at every funeral or Sunday Mass I sing this hymn, I think back to that classroom years ago.  Each of us knew that prayer to memory.  I think the words of St. Francis of Assisi would be a great way for all of us to pray for peace.  We need to be instruments of peace.

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy.


O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; it is in dying that we are born again to eternal life.  Amen.

Chris Hughes

Comments