Skip to main content

11 Years of Community: Catholic Schools Week

Happy Catholic Schools Week!  This week, January 29 - February 4, we mark the annual celebration of Catholic Schools Week.  This year's theme is Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge, and Service.

Having benefited from Catholic Education for the past 11 years, I find my heart full of gratitude during this week.  I am the person I am today because of the education received at St. Francis Xavier Preparatory School, St. John Paul II High School, and now St. Joseph's College.  I have grown as a person, as a student, and as a disciple as a result of my time at these places.  With graduation only 3 months away, I find myself looking back at these past 11 years quite often as of late.

In middle school, we marked Catholic Schools Week with visits from the Bishop, ice cream socials, dress down days, spirit days, and school-wide volleyball tournaments.  Everybody looked forward to Catholic Schools Week!

However, I think the word "communities" stands out to me the most in this year's theme.  I can't help but look back at the different communities I have been apart of over the past 11 years.  Groups of friends, clubs, teams, production casts, prayer groups, classes, RA staff, professional staff members, and much more.  I think of the numerous teachers, professors, administrators, pastors, and chaplains I have had.  It is truly amazing how many people make a lasting impact on your life, and how the memories and lessons learned stay with you forever.

This week, I give thanks to God for the past 11 years.  I am a better person for having known all of those along the way, and for being given this gift of Catholic Education.  I am grateful for the challenges I faced (and continue to face) - they have made me stronger as a person.  I am grateful for the friends who have stuck by my side and have helped me to grow.  I also look forward to the journey ahead and continue to have communities by my side.

For those reading this blog, I ask you to ask yourselves three questions.  Which communities are you most grateful for?  Who has helped get you to where you are today?  Lastly, how has your education formed you as a person?

These three questions can provide food for thought during this Catholic Schools Week.  Thank you to all who support Catholic Education.

Chris Hughes

Comments