Skip to main content

Saving Scorpions

Today is the Epiphany of the Lord when we hear about the magi and the search for the child commissioned by Herod.  We know of Herod’s plan – to kill the child.  

Today I’ve had an epiphany defined as an experience of a sudden and striking realization.  It came about as a consequence of reading this story of “two natures.”

The Teacher sat praying under a tree that had large, exposed roots.  As he prayed, a scorpion, hanging on one of those roots, began to move slowly towards him.,  A young boy passing by saw the scorpion only inches away from the one in prayer and shouted, “Teacher, quick, kill that scorpion; it is trying to bite you!”

The Teacher looked up at the scorpion and slowly moved a short distance before he spoke to the lad.  “Just because it is the nature of the scorpion to sting is no reason that I should change my nature to save.”

It’s the beginning of 2020, and I’m reminded not to fear and strike out – to “bite” those I suspect could do me wrong.  Through prayer I must strengthen my resolve to save, not destroy; to understand, not accuse; to forgive, not harden my heart; to not think of people as scorpions – a temptation I must resist especially for those with opposing political views.

I hereby resolve.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments