Skip to main content

Closer To God

Naaman, the army commander of the king of Aram, was highly esteemed and respected by his master, for through him the LORD had brought victory to Aram. But valiant as he was, the man was a leper. Now the Arameans had captured in a raid on the land of Israel a little girl, who became the servant of Naaman’s wife. “If only my master would present himself to the prophet in Samaria,” she said to her mistress, “he would cure him of his leprosy.” Naaman went and told his lord just what the slave girl from the land of Israel had said. “Go,” said the king of Aram. “I will send along a letter to the king of Israel.” 

The above is the beginning of today’s first reading.  It ends with the following:  So Naaman went down and plunged into the Jordan seven times at the word of the man of God. His flesh became again like the flesh of a little child, and he was clean. He returned with his whole retinue to the man of God. On his arrival he stood before him and said, “Now I know that there is no God in all the earth, except in Israel.”  (2 Kings 5:1-15AB)

This is Women’s History Month, and America Magazine marked this history by asking readers: “How have women led you closer to God? What women have inspired and shaped your Catholic faith?”  Numerous responses were provided.

Many women at Christ the King have shaped my faith through their heart-felt devotion to the Church and God.  Their kindness and sacrifices for other people were models for me.  My wife of almost 49 years has led me closer to God who is love.

Other ladies having an influence on me are little ones quite similar to the little girl who became the servant of Naaman’s wife.  This unnamed servant girl said, “If only my master would present himself to the prophet in Samaria,” she said to her mistress, “he would cure him of his leprosy.”  Her suggestion led to Naaman concluding, “Now I know that there is no God in all the earth, except in Israel.”  

These other ladies are my little granddaughters, and because of them I’m convinced God on earth visits me especially through them.   When they are older and young women, I’ll tell them they led me closer to God.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments