Skip to main content

Vitriol

I hear the whisperings of many: “Terror on every side! Denounce! let us denounce him!” All those who were my friends are on the watch for any misstep of mine. “Perhaps he will be trapped; then we can prevail and take our vengeance on him.” 

But the LORD is with me, like a mighty champion: my persecutors will stumble, they will not triumph. In their failure they will be put to utter shame, to lasting, unforgettable confusion. O LORD of hosts, you who test the just, who probe mind and heart.  Let me witness the vengeance you take on them, for to you I have entrusted my cause. Sing to the LORD, praise the LORD, for he has rescued the life of the poor from the power of the wicked!   (Jeremiah 20:10-13)

This reading from Jeremiah is a rallying call for anyone persecuted unjustly – perhaps through social media bullying and political affiliation.  Terror can be the result of cruel and shameful gossiping by pretend “friends” watching our every move and waiting for those moments – missteps – to pounce on us with vitriol and lies.

In those moments of feeling trapped by internet attacks we can only hope our persecutors will stumble and be shamed for their wicked behavior.    At the very least we must turn to the LORD for comfort – the LORD who knows our minds and hearts.

Social Media terrorism is cowardice and the power of the wicked.  As sung in today’s responsorial psalm: “ In my distress I called upon the Lord, and he heard my voice. My God, my rock of refuge, my shield, the horn of my salvation, my stronghold! Praised be the LORD, I exclaim, and I am safe from my enemies.”  May it also be so.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments