Skip to main content

Fed And Tended

After Jesus had revealed himself to his disciples and eaten breakfast with them, he said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” Simon Peter answered him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.”

He then said to Simon Peter a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Simon Peter answered him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.”

He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.”

Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when he had said this, he said to him, “Follow me.” (John 21:15-19)

Many of us stretch out our hands to those around us, and we say, “Please help me.”  We don’t have to be old because the young and used-to-be young also need help whether it’s financial or emotional.  We need to be “fed and tended.”

We also need to be led by following what Jesus taught and what he commanded.   Good leaders are hard to come by, but Jesus is one we follow due to our trust and faith in him.  If we didn’t trust him, our churches would be almost empty and live-steaming would be ghostly.

Many try to lead us where we do not want to go.   But our love for Jesus is strong, and the path of wolves easily avoided when we see his light and walk away from darkness.  False shepherds and tempters when seen in the light are undressed.  They are naked to reveal their evil intentions of leading sheep to the slaughter.

Yes, Jesus, we love you.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments