Skip to main content

Go In Peace

Jesus said to his disciples: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. You heard me tell you, ‘I am going away and I will come back to you.’ 

If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe. I will no longer speak much with you, for the ruler of the world is coming. He has no power over me, but the world must know that I love the Father and that I do just as the Father has commanded me. (John 14:27-31A)

Oh, if we could only accept and live by Jesus’ peace.   It has become very difficult not to be troubled and afraid about the social and economic consequences of coronavirus infections and deaths.  Inner peace is elusive.  Our hearts ache for less troubled times and the pandemic’s end.

Sometimes it feels as if Jesus is no longer speaking with us – that he has gone away.  Dark times when we are hurting make it seem so.  The “ruler” of the world – in a weird sort of way, the world-wide, threatening virus – has come and gives us pause, great pause in our lives and fortunes.  Many of us wait for Jesus to speak again and to combat this world of infection and great loss of life.

Perhaps Jesus speaks to us now through acts of courage and charity.  Jesus speaks through the love of family and friends – and many helpful strangers likely found on the internet and through social media.

Jesus also speaks to us through on-line streaming at CTK when the Word of God is pronounced and eucharistic prayers are recited.  In that way our ruler of the world has come and reminds us to love the Father and do as the Father has commanded, especially love our neighbors.

I and other deacons usually end each Mass with “Go in peace, glorifying the Lord by your life.”  This is quite the command we say to echo Jesus – our Christ.  Now’s the time to hear that voice and do as we are told.  Go in peace, and keep the peace. “Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.”

Deacon David Pierce

Comments