Skip to main content

His Way

The end was near for Jesus. He knew he faced the final curtain (the one torn). To his disciples, his friends, he made it clear. He was certain that our Advocate – the Holy Spirit – would come to us.

He traveled many paths and Roman highways and preached a life made full when lived with love and compassion, He opposed sin the way it was defined by those who wouldn’t love and laugh with outsiders.  He condemned those who would not forgive.

He stated his case clearly and did what he had to do. His regrets were few, and he stood tall until bowed on a cross and losing his life. Those who followed him and loved him teared until they subsided with his rising. Not in a shy way, he did it his way – for us.

For Frank Sinatra fans the above should sound familiar. Sinatra sang: And now, the end is near and so I face the final curtain. My friend, I'll make it clear; I'll state my case, of which I am certain. I've lived a life that's full. I traveled each and every highway.  And more, much more, I did it; I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention. I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption. I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway. And more, much, much more, I did it; I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew when I bit off more than I could chew. And through it all, whenever there was doubt, I ate it up and spit it out. I faced it all, and I stood tall and did it, did it my way

I've loved, laughed, and cried.  I've had my fill my share of losing. And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing to think I did all that.  And I may say, not in a shy way oh, no, oh, no,
I did it my way.

Although Frank’s lyrics somewhat parallel Jesus’ words, Jesus likely didn’t have blue eyes.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments