Skip to main content

Jesus Watches Us

Jesus said to his disciples: “This is my commandment: love one another as I love you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father. 

It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. This I command you: love one another.” (John 15:12-17)

Of all that Jesus has said, this passage attributed to him by John might be the most important, in my opinion.  It’s a constant reminder of our responsibility, not necessarily as Catholics, but as human beings.  “Love one another, as I love you.”  Twice he said this to his disciples. We all should respond, “Amen!”

We are expected to lay down our lives for our friends.  Of course, the challenge for each one of us is to define “our friends.”   Some of us might say those we know.  Our church has a much wider horizon and an all-encompassing definition.

We have been “chosen and appointed” and given the charge to “go and bear fruit.”   We cannot go too far due to social distancing, but we can go the distance through on-line giving, phone calls to those needing to hear our voices and words of love.  Zooming in on their faces and hearing their voices can be an elixir for them and us.

We need to bear the fruits of the Holy Spirit during these troubling and scary times.  Let’s continue to show charity, kindness, goodness, and faith.  Patience might be at the top of the list. 

Let’s also make use of the gifts of the Holy Spirit with an emphasis on knowledge to keep up with the news and health advice from experts leading to wise choices and public safety for our loved ones and those we should and are required to love.   Jesus is watching us.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments