Skip to main content

Rescue And Answer Them

Peter stood up in the midst of the brothers and sisters (there was a group of about one hundred and twenty persons in the one place). He said, “My brothers and sisters, the Scripture had to be fulfilled which the Holy Spirit spoke beforehand through the mouth of David, concerning Judas,
who was the guide for those who arrested Jesus. Judas was numbered among us and was allotted a share in this ministry. 

For it is written in the Book of Psalms: Let his encampment become desolate, and may no one dwell in it. and: May another take his office. Therefore, it is necessary that one of the men who accompanied us the whole time the Lord Jesus came and went among us, beginning from the baptism of John until the day on which he was taken up from us, become with us a witness to his resurrection.” 

So they proposed two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus, and Matthias. Then they prayed, “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which one of these two you have chosen to take the place in this apostolic ministry from which Judas turned away to go to his own place.” Then they gave lots to them, and the lot fell upon Matthias, and he was counted with the Eleven Apostles.  (Acts 1:15-17, 20-26)

Lucky Matthias drew the right lot.   Justus might have said, “Best two out of three?”  Why not 13 Apostles?  Unlucky 13?  Seems like tough competition for the empty seat created by Judas’ betrayal and then suicide.

This reading uses part of Psalm 69.   Other verses are: Save me, God, for the waters have reached my neck. I have sunk into the mire of the deep, where there is no foothold. I have gone down to the watery depths; the flood overwhelms me. I am weary with crying out; my throat is parched.

My eyes fail, from looking for my God. More numerous than the hairs of my head are those who hate me without cause. Those who would destroy me are mighty, my enemies without reason. Must I now restore what I did not steal?... 

Rescue me from the mire, and do not let me sink. Rescue me from those who hate me and from the watery depths. Do not let the flood waters overwhelm me, nor the deep swallow me, nor the pit close its mouth over me.

Answer me, LORD, in your generous love; in your great mercy turn to me. Do not hide your face from your servant; hasten to answer me, for I am in distress. Come and redeem my life;
because of my enemies ransom me. 

You know my reproach, my shame, my disgrace; before you stand all my foes. Insult has broken my heart, and I despair; I looked for compassion, but there was none, for comforters, but found none. Instead they gave me poison for my food; and for my thirst they gave me vinegar… 

Quite the lament with the last paragraph certainly not describing those who come to CTK for assistance, especially for food.   There is no shame in seeking help.   CTK shows compassion and gives comfort.   We deal with hunger and thirst.  Thanks to all at CTK who show generous love and mercy – to all who help those in distress.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments