Skip to main content

Oath Swearing

Jesus said to his disciples: “You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, Do not take a false oath, but make good to the Lord all that you vow. But I say to you, do not swear at all; not by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by the earth, for it is his footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Do not swear by your head, for you cannot make a single hair white or black. Let your ‘Yes’ mean ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No’ mean ‘No.’ Anything more is from the Evil One.” (Matthew 5:33-37)

Swearing an oath is a very big deal, especially when we swear that oath with our hand placed on a Bible.  Here’s one: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Here’s the oath for U.S. Senators: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.”

Brides and grooms swear this one: "I, ___, take you, ___, for my lawful wife/husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do us part."

Each of us has to judge whether those representing us and whether we ourselves take falsely our sacred oaths; that is, are there lies and oath-breaking.  We are to make good to the Lord all that we vow.  Our ‘Yes’ must mean ‘Yes,’ and our ‘No’ must mean ‘No.’  Or, do we/they heed the Evil One?

Deacon David Pierce

Comments