Skip to main content

Open Hearts

I, Paul, am already being poured out like a libation, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith. From now on the crown of righteousness awaits me, which the Lord, the just judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me, but to all who have longed for his appearance. 

The Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the proclamation might be completed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil threat and will bring me safe to his heavenly Kingdom. To him be glory forever and ever.  Amen. (2 Timothy 4:6-8, 17-18)

Competition is the spice of life.  Some call life a competition and a race that we rush to finish.  To what end I don’t know.  Heaven?   Good destination to be sure, but I will take the long way.  I don’t look forward to death being victorious.  I’m walking slowly.   I don’t know the time of my departure, like Paul.  I try not to look at the clock.

I suppose to compete well means to love and to be loved.   To do both requires us to be in shape for the “race,” that is to be fit.  We accomplish that fitness by relying on the strength the Lord provides – strength acquired and maintained by faith – sort of like repeated exercise in a gym or health club to remain fit.

We need open hearts and minds and a willingness to drop our guards so others can get to know us and perhaps love us.  That’s one way to be rescued from the lion’s mouth we call loneliness and despair.

We will be awarded “on that day.”  Until then, let’s partake of the spices of life that can involve competition but more often simply all that comes from loving and being loved.  Amen!

Deacon David Pierce

Comments