Skip to main content

Shackled To Christ

Brothers and sisters: I am amazed that you are so quickly forsaking the one who called you by the grace of Christ for a different gospel (not that there is another). But there are some who are disturbing you and wish to pervert the Gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel other than the one that we preached to you, let that one be accursed!

As we have said before, and now I say again, if anyone preaches to you a gospel other than the one that you received, let that one be accursed! Am I now currying favor with human beings or God? Or am I seeking to please people? I were still trying to please people, I would not be a slave of Christ. Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the Gospel preached by me is not of human origin. For I did not receive it from a human being, nor was I taught it, but it came through a revelation of Jesus Christ.  (Galatians 1:6-12)

What Gospel do we read and proclaim?  Have we forsaken the Good News in favor of News that favors us in a self-serving way and not challenges us to follow Jesus?  If so, Paul says we are accursed.

It is amazing how quickly we can forsake Jesus and pervert his News!   We pervert the Gospel of Christ when we favor “gospels” of people, groups, and organizations with philosophies and agendas that are antithetical to Jesus Christ.  That's Fake News.

Paul said we must be slaves of Christ.  Unfortunately, many of us are slaves of those who have curried our favor by appealing to our base instincts, especially fear and even hate fostered by lies.  

Let’s shackle ourselves to Christ.  Those “chains” are fashioned by faith, hope, and love.  Jesus offers these three keys to the locks that bind us in slavery to oppressors, liars, charlatans, and those who promote hate and violence.   Let’s turn the keys in those locks and set ourselves free.

Deacon David Pierce


Comments