Skip to main content

Honor Our Pledge

Today is Veterans Day, and our responsorial psalm is #23.  It reads:

The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. In verdant pastures he gives me repose; Beside restful waters he leads me; he refreshes my soul.

The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want. He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side. With your rod and your staff that give me courage.

The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want. You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want. Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; And I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

Many men and women have died in service and defense of our country and other nations throughout the world.  The Lord was their shepherd, and in verdant pastures filled with crosses they were given repose.  Often besides waters they were laid to rest by leaders having made decisions to risk the lives of service men and women for just and sometimes unjust causes.  Such is war and the destruction it wreaks often in pursuit of vengeance or punishment. 

When we pray the Lord’s Prayer, we are supposed to commit to following the “right paths” and “fear no evil” meaning we are not to tolerate evil in all its disguises.  That takes courage, and we pray for that courage often found in short supply.  Our service men and women who died had that courage in the sight of their foes.  

Think of the fallen having stormed the beaches at Normandy or who fought in the jungles and rice paddies of Vietnam.   Think of the seemingly countless veterans who fought for goodness and kindness – for liberty and freedom.  Today, let us really think of them and honor them.  They saved us and those they fought to defend.

By honoring them we simply say: “The Lord is our shepherd; there is nothing we shall want, except for our nation to be safe, protected, honored, and respected and for our government leaders to take the Pledge of Allegiance deadly serious."  

“We pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

When we recite and keep this pledge, we honor our veterans especially on this solemn day when we are not supposed to be divided; when there should be liberty and justice for all; and when we must be one nation under God.  Are we?

Deacon David Pierce

Comments