Skip to main content

Yoked

Jesus said to the crowds: “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

Hardly Jesus!  Your yoke is hard, and your burden is heavy.  Those who follow Jesus and adhere to his commandments must pass through a narrow gate.  Loving our neighbors as ourselves is no easy chore especially when we find their behavior so distasteful and even counter to Catholic practice and belief – contrary to morality preached from the ambo and emphasized by Pope Francis. 

Then again, when we are labored and burdened, turning to Jesus can give us peace and even rest.  This rest is especially needed in 2020 and will be necessary in 2021 with COVID-19 illnesses, deaths, and financial perils affecting so many of us.

Our challenge will be to take his yoke upon us, be guided by Jesus, and learn from him.  When we do, chances are we will be humble of heart and champions for the poor and those seeking justice.  We must work to make their burdens light.  Yes, Jesus wants us to help others through us.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments