Skip to main content

Focus On The Lamb

I knew their plot because the LORD informed me.  At that time you, O LORD, showed me their doings. Yet I, like a trusting lamb led to slaughter, had not realized that they were hatching plots against me: “Let us destroy the tree in its vigor; let us cut him off from the land of the living, so that his name will be spoken no more.” But, you, O LORD of hosts, O just Judge, searcher of mind and heart, let me witness the vengeance you take on them, for to you I have entrusted my cause! (Jeremiah 11:18-20)

Vengeance, otherwise simply called revenge, is what Jeremiah expects the LORD to grant him.  Sort of an understandable reaction and expectation when we learn that our trust in others has led to our “slaughter” – our demise like a tree cut down with our name being spoken no more, or slandered on social media.

There is almost nothing worse than our trust being betrayed.  That’s certainly the case when government leaders betray their sworn oaths and the people they are supposed to represent.  They plot against us with conspiracy theories being one tool to corrupt our minds and hearts.  Trusting lambs, that many of us are, feel the sharp knife of betrayal.

"Vengeance is mine," says the LORD.   Well, yes.  However, vengeance is ours too through the ballot box and our votes.  Our challenge is to see the betrayal and then respond to it.  Many of us are blind because we cannot see deception all caused by our choice of social media and news outlets seeking our eyes for their advertisements and to reap profits.  

This Lent let’s focus on the Lamb we trust and heed his words: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.”  In other words, we must seek peace, not discord, and certainly not vengeance that creates circles of violence and antichrist behavior.

Deacon David Pierce 


Comments