Skip to main content

One Nation Under God?

Thus says the Lord GOD: I will take the children of Israel from among the nations to which they have come, and gather them from all sides to bring them back to their land. I will make them one nation upon the land, in the mountains of Israel, and there shall be one prince for them all. 

Never again shall they be two nations, and never again shall they be divided into two kingdoms. No longer shall they defile themselves with their idols, their abominations, and all their transgressions. I will deliver them from all their sins of apostasy, and cleanse them so that they may be my people and I may be their God.

My servant David shall be prince over them, and there shall be one shepherd for them all; they shall live by my statutes and carefully observe my decrees. They shall live on the land that I gave to my servant Jacob, the land where their fathers lived; they shall live on it forever, they, and their children, and their children’s children, with my servant David their prince forever.

I will make with them a covenant of peace; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them, and I will multiply them, and put my sanctuary among them forever. My dwelling shall be with them; I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Thus the nations shall know that it is I, the LORD, who make Israel holy, when my sanctuary shall be set up among them forever. (Ezekiel 37:21-28)

Ezekiel spoke many centuries ago in a land most of us have never visited, or even appreciate today.  Nevertheless, his words ring true for 2021 for the “United” States of America.  We appear to be of two nations holding grudges against the other.  States are divided as to how they deal with the pandemic, gun control, local economies, and especially politics and racism.

Consequently, the hate and anger generated by this division has caused America to defile itself through transgressions, abominations, and even idols – the living kind.  Ezekiel claimed God said, “Never again shall Israel be two nations – two kingdoms.”  If only that were true of America today with one prince – or President – for all.  America needs a covenant of peace – elusive as it certainly is.  

We Catholics await Palm Sunday tomorrow.  That’s when Jesus entered Jerusalem when he expected his crucifixion by the Jewish authorities and Pilate.  Some would say our nation is crucifying itself to the glee of our enemies and adversaries.  

Now is the time for us to pray and realize we live on the land where our fathers lived.  We and our children, and our children’s children, will live on it forever with Christ forever. Indeed, God dwells with us, and we are God’s people.  Therefore, we MUST be one nation under God.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments