Skip to main content

Palm Sunday

The Lord GOD has given me a well-trained tongue, that I might know how to speak to the weary a word that will rouse them. Morning after morning he opens my ear that I may hear; and I have not rebelled, have not turned back. I gave my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who plucked my beard; my face I did not shield from buffets and spitting.

The Lord GOD is my help, therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame. (Isaiah 50:4-7)

Today is Palm Sunday of the Lord’s Passion.  The Passion as described by Mark is read.

Near its end we read (and hear): At noon darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon. And at three o’clock Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” which is translated, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

We sometimes ask the same question when our backs have been beaten and our cheeks have been buffeted and spit on.  When we are victims of injustices and hatred, we ask, “Where is God’s help?”  Having to set our faces like flint speaks of courage in the face of adversity, but flint is used to spark fires, and fire burns.  Flint-faces hide the pain inside us. 

Today’s other reading makes the case that our dealing with internal pain, especially spiritual pain, can be easier when we reflect on and then mirror Jesus who humbled himself and then was “greatly exalted.”  It reads: Christ Jesus, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped. Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Because of this, God greatly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:6-11)

When we believe and voice “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” with our well-trained tongues, we speak aloud our pain.  Especially this Palm Sunday, when we are in pain, God reaches towards us with palms upturned to take our hands and tell us, “You are not forsaken – forgotten. You are my son, you are my daughter, do not be afraid of the noon darkness for my Son is with you.  Jesus shares your pain.  He cried out with understandable doubt to me on the cross. You do the same.  He will lead you out of the darkness because Christ is your light.  I Am the source from which you can always draw living water to deal with your pain."

This Palm Sunday when Jesus symbolically enters Jerusalem, we must reflect on how he has entered our lives.  And, he will never forsake us.

Deacon David Pierce  

Comments