Skip to main content

Many Dwelling Places

Jesus said to his disciples: “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be. Where I am going you know the way.” Thomas said to him, “Master, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:1-6)

“In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.”  We wonder how many.  Also, where is the Father’s house?  Perhaps we should refer to another reading but from the first letter of another John (4:11-16) where he quotes Jesus as having said: “We have come to know and to believe in the love God has for us. God is love, and whoever remains in love remains in God and God in him.”  Therefore, each of us is a dwelling place – the Father’s house – in which Jesus (Christ) also resides.  

Our houses are “livable” when we decide to knowledge that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. This is how we prepare those houses with Jesus’ assistance and company.  They should be Christ-like.

Many of us think these dwelling places are in heaven.  Could be.  Still, while we are alive, we should not let our hearts be troubled.  We must have faith in God in whom we reside and who resides within us – our and God’s dwelling place.  This simply means we are one with God.  Seems a bit warm and cozy provided we stoke the fires of love and extinguish hate in our hearts.

Deacon David Pierce


Comments