Skip to main content

Overconfidence

When Jesus had washed the disciples’ feet, he said to them: “Amen, amen, I say to you, no slave is greater than his master nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you understand this, blessed are you if you do it. I am not speaking of all of you. I know those whom I have chosen. But so that the Scripture might be fulfilled, The one who ate my food has raised his heel against me. From now on I am telling you before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe that I AM.  Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.” (John 13:16-20)

Are we overconfident that we will eat Jesus’ food (eucharist) and then never raise our heel against him; that is, betray him?  Most of us might say our heels will never be raised against Jesus.  If so, we lie.  We all at one time or another break his commandments especially about loving our neighbor.  We are too overconfident.  

So, let’s get real and recognize we are only human with many human faults.  Let’s appreciate that when we raise our heels, Jesus might simply grab them and flip us over on our backs.  We are not greater than our master who knows all the Jedi moves.  The Force is with him.

Deacon David Pierce


Comments