Skip to main content

Rowing Too Far

When it was evening, the disciples of Jesus went down to the sea, embarked in a boat, and went across the sea to Capernaum. It had already grown dark, and Jesus had not yet come to them. The sea was stirred up because a strong wind was blowing. When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and coming near the boat, and they began to be afraid. But he said to them, “It is I. Do not be afraid.” They wanted to take him into the boat, but the boat immediately arrived at the shore to which they were heading. (John 6:16-21)

It had already grown dark.  Then what in the world were the disciples thinking when they embarked on a boat to row three or four miles out to sea?  And in the darkness?!   And a strong wind was blowing?!  Some fishermen!  Those men must have had tremendous faith in Jesus to tempt fate the way they did, according to John. Moreover, it was dark, so how could they see Jesus walking on the sea coming near the boat?  

This is just a beautiful tale helping us to understand that when we seek Jesus, he can be found.  In fact, he comes to us to calm our fears: “It is I. Do not be afraid.”  The 23rd psalm is appropriate here: 

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want; he makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. 

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

The 23rd is a beautiful psalm we can recite when we have rowed too far in darkness and the strong winds blow.

Deacon David Pierce 

Comments