Skip to main content

Deacon Matthew Laird



Peter began to say to Jesus, ‘We have given up everything and followed you.” Jesus said, “Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the Gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come. But many that are first will be last, and the last will be first.” (Mark 10:28-31)

Matthew Laird, son of parishioners David and Kathy Laird, was ordained by Bishop Edward da Cunha to the Order of the Transitional Diaconate on May 22 at the Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption in Fall River.  That afternoon at the 4 pm Vigil Mass he was presented and assisted at Christ the King.  A bishop only calls a man to be a transitional deacon if it his intention that following one year as a deacon, to be ordained to the priesthood. 

Matthew is saying, like Peter, “I have given up everything and will follow you.”  He understands that many who are first will be last, and the last will be first.  That is a basic tenet of Catholicism and a priest’s commitment to the poor, disadvantaged, and disenfranchised.  

Matthew is to be congratulated for his decision to pursue this very difficult, but extremely rewarding calling. According to Mark, Jesus said, “Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the Gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age.”  Matthew has listened to Jesus, and so should we.  

This new transitional deacon now heeds the call of the other Matthew (#25): For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’ Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’ He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’

Deacon David Pierce

Comments