Skip to main content

Pruning And Grafting

Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me will be thrown out like a branch and wither; people will gather them and throw them into a fire, and they will be burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want, and it will be done for you. By this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.” (John 15:1-8)

The above passages sound familiar?  They should.  Consider 1 John 4:11-16 we read earlier in the week: "Moreover, we have seen and testify that the Father sent his Son as savior of the world. Whoever acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God remains in him and he in God.  We have come to know and to believe in the love God has for us. God is love, and whoever remains in love remains in God and God in him."  Therefore, it appears the vine is love – entwining, engaging love.  

When we refuse to love, we do not bear fruit, and Jesus says we should be pruned away – cut off to whither and be burned. But when we love we’re connected to other people, and their strength becomes our strength.

Then again, many of us find it hard to find real and lasting love.  In this case, pruning should involve grafting us back onto the living vine for another chance and opportunity.  One never knows when that fruit will appear.  God is love, so those seemingly dead branches – many of us – eventually will thrive.

Deacon David Pierce 


Comments