Skip to main content

Wisdom Woman

I thank the LORD and I praise him; I bless the name of the LORD. When I was young and innocent, I sought wisdom openly in my prayer. I prayed for her before the temple, and I will seek her until the end, and she flourished as a grape soon ripe.

My heart delighted in her. My feet kept to the level path because from earliest youth I was familiar with her. In the short time I paid heed. I met with great instruction. Since in this way I have profited, I will give my teacher grateful praise.

I became resolutely devoted to her—the good I persistently strove for. My soul was tormented in seeking her. My hand opened her gate, and I came to know her secrets. I directed my soul to her, and in cleanness I attained to her. (Sirach 51:12-20)

Wisdom is a woman.  This is made clear by Sirach whose “heart delighted in her.”  He prayed for her; he sought her; he was devoted to her.   He came to know her secrets.   We should all be so lucky.

Wisdom often eludes us.  She is not easily found, especially because influential people and organizations seek to hide her or portray the self-serving and corrupt as wise.  We are easily fooled much to the Holy Spirit’s dismay.  Wisdom is a gift of the Spirit many of us leave unopened.

Too many of us cannot open Wisdom’s gate.   Our hands are tied by biases, fear, stupidity, ego, and self-righteousness.  Fortunately, her gate is not locked.  Her secrets are revealed when we loosen our fetters and swing the gate open.  Wisdom is there for the taking.  We simply must embrace her.

Deacon David Pierce  


Comments