Skip to main content

Peace Be With Us

Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples said to him, “We have seen the Lord.” But Thomas said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nail marks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”

Now a week later his disciples were again inside, and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.” Thomas answered and said to him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.” (John 20:24-29)

All of us are blessed because we have not seen and yet we believe.  That is faith.  It is faith in Jesus our Christ who enters our locked hearts to give us peace.  

Thomas needed to see and feel the nail marks.  Unlike Thomas, we cannot put our hands into Jesus’ side.  However, there is no need because he takes our hands and leads us to where we need to go – to the Father and peace provided we overcome our doubts and always do what is right and just as the Body of Christ.

Deacon David Pierce


Comments