Skip to main content

I AM

Children were brought to Jesus that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples rebuked them, but Jesus said, “Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them; for the Kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” After he placed his hands on them, he went away. (Matthew 19:13-15)

“Let the children come to me,” was what Jesus said, according to Matthew.  But, he then went away.  Jesus had other places to go; however, he was still with them, as are we today with him and God.    

Let’s consider the following insight. “The presence of God does not depend on an act of God’s will.  It depends simply on our own realization that where I am, God is.  The challenge is to come to the point that where God is, I am.”  This location of God and us was provided by Sister Joan Chittister in 2010 [40 Stories To Stir The Soul]. 

She has helped me finally understand these Old Testament verses: "But,” said Moses to God, “if I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what do I tell them?” God replied to Moses: I am who I am. Then he added: This is what you will tell the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you (Exodus 3:13-14).  

Where I am, God is.  Where God is, I am.  Furthermore, Jesus is I am.  Jesus said, “I am the Bread of Life (John 6:35); I am the Light of the World (John 8:12); I am the Door (John 10:9); I am the Good Shepherd (John 10:11,14); I am the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25); I am the Way and the Truth and the Life (John 14:6); and I am the Vine (John 15:1,5).

Where we are, God is, whether we like it or not.  God is not distant or “up there.”  God is here and now, especially when and where love is present.  We ARE.  I Am with you, so says God.

Deacon David Pierce


Comments