Skip to main content

Another Creed

Brothers and sisters: Put on, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, bearing with one another and forgiving one another, if one has a grievance against another; as the Lord has forgiven you, so must you also do. And over all these put on love, that is, the bond of perfection. And let the peace of Christ control your hearts, the peace into which you were also called in one Body.

And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, as in all wisdom you teach and admonish one another, singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:12-17)

This letter attributed to Paul is very attractive.  In fact, I’d like it to be part of our formal Mass and recited along with the Creed that is lofty and theological rather than pastoral.  This Pauline letter might be reworded in this way:  

I will put on, as one of God’s holy and beloved chosen ones, heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, and I will be forgiving when I have grievances; as the Lord has forgiven me, so I also must do. And over all these I will put on love, that is, the bond of perfection, and let the peace of Christ control my heart, the peace into which I was also called in one Body. 

And I will be thankful. I will let the word of Christ dwell in me richly. As in all wisdom, we will teach and admonish one another, singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in our hearts to God. And whatever we do, in word or in deed, we will do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.  Amen.

Paul’s letter makes us remember what it means to be a Christian – a follower of Christ. 

Deacon David Pierce

Comments