Skip to main content

Happy New Year Mother Of God

Today is the Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of God [and Happy New Year!].  Accordingly: The shepherds went in haste to Bethlehem and found Mary and Joseph, and the infant lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known the message that had been told them about this child. All who heard it were amazed by what had been told them by the shepherds. And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart. 

Then the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, just as it had been told to them. When eight days were completed for his circumcision, he was named Jesus, the name given him by the angel before he was conceived in the womb. (Luke 2:16-21)

Shepherds figure prominently in today’s Gospel.  And why not!?  The 23rd psalm sings: The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack. In green pastures he makes me lie down; to still waters he leads me; he restores my soul. He guides me along right paths for the sake of his name. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff comfort me. You set a table before me in front of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Indeed, goodness and mercy will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for endless days.

The infant lying in the manger became our shepherd.  Thank God for that!  He guides us along right paths, although we often choose to take the wrong fork in the road.  Free will with an improperly formed conscience messes with our compasses, especially the moral ones.

Like all of us, with some notable test-tube exceptions, he was conceived in a womb.  For Mary we recite: “Blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.” For all of us previous wombsters, blessed are we for we were the fruits of our mothers’ wombs.  

How many of us now act like shepherds fearing no evil and giving comfort to those in need?  Do we reveal goodness and show mercy all the days of our lives?  If not, then our mothers bore rotten fruit.

Deacon David Pierce


Comments