Skip to main content

Mind Killer

Jesus left the district of Tyre and went by way of Sidon to the Sea of Galilee, into the district of the Decapolis. And people brought to him a deaf man who had a speech impediment and begged him to lay his hand on him. He took him off by himself away from the crowd. 

He put his finger into the man’s ears and, spitting, touched his tongue; then he looked up to heaven and groaned, and said to him, “Ephphatha!” (that is, “Be opened!”) And immediately the man’s ears were opened, his speech impediment was removed, and he spoke plainly. 

He ordered them not to tell anyone. But the more he ordered them not to, the more they proclaimed it. They were exceedingly astonished, and they said, “He has done all things well. He makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.” (Mark 7:31-37)

Many of us are deaf to the truth.   Many of us lack the courage to speak up when we see injustice and hear lies.  We are mute.  Despite our deafness, we still hear “Ephphatha!”  That is because our deafness is more about our refusal to hear and truly listen.  Jesus tells us not to be afraid.  

Our speech impediments are not physical. We are not tongue-tied.  We must loosen our tongues making them sharper than two-edged swords to speak the Word of God and then act accordingly.  

Let’s remember to face our fears perhaps using DUNE’s Litany Against Fear.  It is a mantra that reads:

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

Having read all the books in the Dune book series by Frank Herbert, I’ve come to appreciate the usefulness of this Litany that I say from time to time.  I don't want a mind-killer.  Neither does Jesus.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments