Skip to main content

Convicted And Condemned

Jesus said to his disciples: “Now I am going to the one who sent me, and not one of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ But because I told you this, grief has filled your hearts. But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go. For if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you. 

 But if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation: sin, because they do not believe in me; righteousness, because I am going to the Father, and you will no longer see me; condemnation, because the ruler of this world has been condemned.” (John 16:5-11)

According to John speaking for Jesus, the Holy Spirit – the Advocate – will only come to us if Jesus “goes.”  But when the Spirit comes, the outcome will not be very pleasant because we will be convicted and condemned.  Why?

First, “we” will be convicted of the sin we caused by crucifying Jesus on the cross – an innocent man and scapegoat. Some of us may say the “we” is not us.  “They” crucified him.  On the contrary, we crucify Jesus every time we break his commandments and refuse to respect and be kind to other people.  This is especially true when we hate our neighbors.

Secondly, “we” will be condemned because we think and act like rulers of Jesus’ world – the Caesars and high priests in league with the Emp  ire to retain power, property, and wealth.  Some of us will say that was then, not now, and we should not be condemned for the sins of our “fathers.” That’s missing the point. We still are concerned primarily about acquiring power, privileges and possessions. 

Therefore, we all should take care that the Holy Spirit we received at Baptism and Confirmation is not “dispirited” by our failures to keep our oaths and show Christ-like behavior so very needed in this world of conflict, division, anger, and hatred.  We truly need our Advocate committed to us when we tell no lies and love.  We all need the gifts of the Holy Spirit in our troubled times. "Return to sender" is not an option.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments