Skip to main content

Darkness

Jesus cried out and said, “Whoever believes in me believes not only in me but also in the one who sent me, and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me. I came into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in darkness. And if anyone hears my words and does not observe them, I do not condemn him, for I did not come to condemn the world but to save the world. 

Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words has something to judge him: the word that I spoke, it will condemn him on the last day, because I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and speak. And I know that his commandment is eternal life. So what I say, I say as the Father told me.” (John 12:44-50)

John speaks for Jesus, but I suspect he puts words in Jesus’ mouth that he would not have spoken.  John wrote his Gospel in the 90s, many decades after Jesus’ crucifixion.  Because John has Jesus speak of judging and condemning, i.e., “Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words has something to judge him: the word that I spoke, it will condemn him on the last day,” I’m inclined to think the community of John took a very hard stance on belief in Jesus and following him.  Those who did not believe and follow him were in darkness.  All well and good.  

Nevertheless, condemning those on the outside by those on the inside, seems anti-Christ and a recipe for division, polarized thinking and even hate.  It also reeks of intolerance of the other point of view.  Reminds me of the United States with those along the political spectrum accusing the “other” as being in darkness.  Hence, America continues to experience hate and the erosion of our democracy and Nation.  

Jesus is believed to have said: “I came into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in darkness.” Too many people believing in Jesus are in darkness because we reject his gift: “I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another. This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Deacon David Pierce


Comments