Skip to main content

Feel The Burn

Jesus said to his disciples: “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and everyone that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit. You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you. Remain in me, as I remain in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me. 

I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me will be thrown out like a branch and wither; people will gather them and throw them into a fire and they will be burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. By this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.” (John 15:1-8)

I recently burned all the branches that had fallen from my trees during winter storms.  Such a conflagration with neighboring pine trees suffering burned needles!  The blaze reminded me of this reading from John.  It also reminded me about what we do to those who disagree with us – to the wood pile and torch where they are dispensed.  We tend to no longer associate with them, and we even condemn them through our words and actions.

It's far better to do a little “pruning” by discussing differences and cutting away the anger and disillusionment with the other’s perspectives.  This does leave behind some wounds, but this pruning leads to more growth and fruit – care and compassion instead of rot.

Jesus understood about the importance of branches remaining on the vine.  We must have a similar understanding; otherwise, we will feel the burn.

Deacon David Pierce


Comments