Skip to main content

Lighten Our Burdens

Jesus said: “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

I’ve never understood this claim by Jesus.  His yoke is not easy, and his burden is not light.   He asks much of us such as loving our neighbors as ourselves. Being yoked to Jesus is challenging, especially because we must always look ahead and not back.  We must seek and do what is right and just and without fail.  It is a heavy yoke, as was Jesus’ cross.

Perhaps the “yoke” is our obligation to forgive those who trespass against us and to ask for forgiveness when we should.  We are yoked to him when we forgive.  We learn from him that through forgiveness we “save” others and ourselves.   We lighten our own burdens when we forgive.  

Deacon David Pierce

Comments