Skip to main content

Meek And Humble

Jesus said to the crowds: “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart, and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

“For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.” Hardly.  Nevertheless, we are told: “You will find rest for yourselves.” Jesus appears to reference and quote the prophet Jeremiah (6:16): Stand by the earliest roads, ask the pathways of old, ‘Which is the way to good?’ and walk it; thus you will find rest for yourselves.”  Jeremiah’s audience said, “We will not walk it.” 

We are Jesus’ audience.  Are we walking his path?  Are we yoked to him?  Often, we feel as if the yoke’s weight is making us sink deep into the mud.  Such is our fate with heavy loads.  We can only persevere and share the load with other people walking besides us.  We, the Body of Christ, are sturdy when we learn from him and strive to be meek and humble. 

Deacon David Pierce 

Comments