Skip to main content

Imperfection

Jesus said to his disciples: "You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? Do not the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brothers and sisters only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same? So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:43-48)

I’ll never be perfect.  Far from it.  I will never love my enemies, and I won’t pray for those who persecute me.  Then again, how can I find inner peace if I’m holding grudges and being hateful even if seemingly justified.  

Sure, our heavenly Father’s sun rises on the bad and the good, and he causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. Is that supposed to impress me or convince me to accept them as they are – the bad and the unjust? I appreciate Matthew’s reasoning, but it assumes perfection, and I’m far from that.

The best I can do is try to forgive the bad and the unjust, although it will be hard to forget their evil actions and unjust, cruel behavior.  After all, I’m far from divine.  

I’ll also try to understand my enemies and those who persecute me.  What’s their reasoning?  Perhaps with understanding some fences can be mended and apologies offered.  The alternative is continued conflict and negative emotions.  

I suppose I should be the first to offer the olive branch.  Otherwise, I disappoint Christ and continue to live in a valley of the shadow of death, so to speak.  Perhaps if I fear no evil (Psalm 23), I can look them in the eye, understand them, and learn how to amicably share the same sun that shines on us and the same rain that falls upon us.  Here’s hoping this Lent I can make sunshine in the rain.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments