Skip to main content

Good Friday Servants

See, my servant shall prosper, he shall be raised high and greatly exalted. Even as many were amazed at him -- so marred was his look beyond human semblance and his appearance beyond that of the sons of man -- so shall he startle many nations, because of him kings shall stand speechless; for those who have not been told shall see, those who have not heard shall ponder it. 

Who would believe what we have heard? To whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed? He grew up like a sapling before him, like a shoot from the parched earth; there was in him no stately bearing to make us look at him, nor appearance that would attract us to him. He was spurned and avoided by people, a man of suffering, accustomed to infirmity, one of those from whom people hide their faces, spurned, and we held him in no esteem. 

Yet it was our infirmities that he bore, our sufferings that he endured, while we thought of him as stricken, as one smitten by God and afflicted. But he was pierced for our offenses, crushed for our sins; upon him was the chastisement that makes us whole, by his stripes we were healed. We had all gone astray like sheep, each following his own way; but the LORD laid upon him the guilt of us all. Though he was harshly treated, he submitted and opened not his mouth; like a lamb led to the slaughter or a sheep before the shearers, he was silent and opened not his mouth. 

Oppressed and condemned, he was taken away, and who would have thought any more of his destiny? When he was cut off from the land of the living, and smitten for the sin of his people, a grave was assigned him among the wicked and a burial place with evildoers, though he had done no wrong nor spoken any falsehood. But the LORD was pleased to crush him in infirmity. If he gives his life as an offering for sin, he shall see his descendants in a long life, and the will of the LORD shall be accomplished through him.

Because of his affliction he shall see the light in fullness of days; through his suffering, my servant shall justify many, and their guilt he shall bear. Therefore, I will give him his portion among the great, and he shall divide the spoils with the mighty, because he surrendered himself to death and was counted among the wicked; and he shall take away the sins of many and win pardon for their offenses. (Isaiah 52:13—53:12)

This is the fourth of the servant songs where it continues the discussion of the suffering servant. The servant is not clearly identified within this song, but we can conclude from Isaiah’s word choice that the song could refer to an individual or a group. The song declares that the "servant" intercedes for others, bearing their punishments and afflictions. In the end, he/they are rewarded.  That should be all of us serving others in so many different capacities; interceding for them; and helping them bear their afflictions, such as their struggles with addictions.

What follows are somewhat edited excerpts from different sources to identify the suffering servant. 

(begin) It can be argued that the servant represents a group of people, more specifically the nation of Israel, and they feel that they have paid their dues and continue to suffer because of the sins of others (Isaiah 53:7,11-12). Also, by using we, our, and they, it can be argued the "servant" was a group.

Consider: (1) Isaiah 41:8-9  But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, offspring of Abraham my friend—You whom I have taken from the ends of the earth and summoned from its far-off places, to whom I have said, “You are my servant; I chose you, I have not rejected you—Do not fear: I am with you; do not be anxious: I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand. Yes, all shall be put to shame and disgrace who vent their anger against you; Those shall be as nothing and perish who offer resistance.”

(2) Isaiah 44:1  Hear then, Jacob, my servant, Israel, whom I have chosen. Thus says the LORD who made you, your help, who formed you from the womb: Do not fear, Jacob, my servant, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen.

(3) Isaiah 44:21-22   Remember these things, Jacob, Israel, for you are my servant! I formed you, a servant to me; Israel, you shall never be forgotten by me: I have brushed away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like a mist; return to me, for I have redeemed you.

(4) Isaiah 49:2-3   He made my mouth like a sharp-edged sword, concealed me, shielded by his hand. He made me a sharpened arrow, in his quiver he hid me. He said to me, “You are my servant, in you, Israel, I show my glory.”

Jesus quoted one sentence in Isaiah 53:12 of this 4th servant song as referring to himself. In Luke 22:37 it reads: “For I tell you that this scripture must be fulfilled in me, namely, ‘He was counted among the wicked’; and indeed what is written about me is coming to fulfillment.” The New Testament cites it as referring to Jesus Christ in Matthew 8:17, Mark 15:28, John 12:38, Acts 8:32–33, Romans 10:16, 15:21 and 1 Peter 2:22. (end)

 Isaiah provided an interpretive framework for understanding Jesus.   We all greatly benefit from this interpretation as prophecy fulfilled as opposed to prophecy remembered.  Today’s Passion reading according to John relies on that interpretation.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for your writings during Lent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write!