Skip to main content

Dedications

The feast of the Dedication was taking place in Jerusalem. It was winter. And Jesus walked about in the temple area on the Portico of Solomon. So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, "How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly." Jesus answered them, "I told you and you do not believe. The works I do in my Father's name testify to me. But you do not believe, because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father's hand. The Father and I are one." (John 10:22-30)

The feast of the Dedication was taking place in Jerusalem. It was winter. And Jesus walked about in the temple area on the Portico of Solomon.  So, what is this feast?  It is the “Festival of Lights” or Hanukkah being an eight-day Jewish holiday celebrating the rededication of the Temple in Jerusalem in the Second Century B.C. Hanukkah is the Hebrew word for “dedication.”

The history of the holiday is tied to the time when Israel was struggling for existence. It is believed that after a successful revolt against a tyrannical monarch, the victorious Jewish community could find very little pure olive oil to light the Menorah, only enough for one day. However, the oil lasted for eight days, long enough to purify more oil!

Jewish people light a candle on each of the eight evenings in remembrance of God’s provision. They also play games, exchange gifts, have family dinners and attend plays and concerts at synagogues and schools. The lighting of the Hanukkah lamp takes place between “sunset and until there is no wayfarer left in the street.” 

The eight cups that hold the Hanukkah candles are arranged in a row, one for each night of the holiday. Every menorah has one additional cup, a ninth cup, which is located in the center or to one side and is usually slightly elevated. The ninth candle is called “the shammash,” or, “one who serves.” Jewish tradition says the purpose of the shammash is that “Judaism gives light to the world.” 

Are we dedicated to Jesus?  Are we among his sheep hearing his voice, knowing him and following him?  If so, no one can take us out of his hand.  We will be one with Jesus whom we serve. 

During this Easter season let’s rededicate ourselves to Christ.  We don’t light Hanukkah lamps. We see through the light of Christ.  And, yes, Jewish tradition says Judaism gives light to the world.  We share this concept with our Jewish brothers and sisters, and through our faiths we are both to shine as beacons to the world.

Deacon David Pierce 

Comments