Skip to main content

Wolves

Jesus said: “I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. A hired man, who is not a shepherd and whose sheep are not his own, sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away, and the wolf catches and scatters them. This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep.

I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd. This is why the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from my Father.” (John 10:11-18)

Wolves really do get a bad rap.  Perhaps our fascination with werewolves has contributed to this bad reputation.  Then there is Little Red Riding Hood.  Remember this conversation: "But Grandmother!  What big ears you have," said Little Red Riding Hood as she edged closer to the bed. "The better to hear you with, my dear," replied the wolf. "But Grandmother!  What big eyes you have," said Little Red Riding Hood. "The better to see you with, my dear," replied the wolf. "But Grandmother!  What big teeth you have," said Little Red Riding Hood her voice quivering slightly. "The better to eat you with, my dear," roared the wolf and he leapt out of the bed and began to chase the little girl.

What wolves chase us?  Those who seek to bend us to their wills; those who seek to dupe us and play us as fools; those who want to sink their teeth into us to render us powerless in their grips.  In other words, advertisers, politicians, lobbyists, talking heads on social media and cable news, drug dealers (legal and illegal), and liars, deceivers, followers of the Evil One.  I jest not because the Devil prowls around like a lion waiting for someone to devour.  

Fortunately, we have the good shepherd who knows us, and we know him. He always will lay down his life for us sheep.  He carries a big staff he wields to protect us.  Therefore, it’s important for us to stay close and always be within his reach (at least within the reach of his mighty staff).

Deacon David Pierce

Comments