Skip to main content

Salvation

Brothers and sisters, consider this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each must do as already determined, without sadness or compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. Moreover, God is able to make every grace abundant for you, so that in all things, always having all you need, you may have an abundance for every good work. 

As it is written: He scatters abroad, he gives to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.

The one who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed and increase the harvest of your righteousness.

You are being enriched in every way for all generosity, which through us produces thanksgiving to God. (2 Corinthians 9:6-11)

He gives to the poor; his righteousness endures forever. If we are righteous, what does that imply? Matthew 25:31 reads:  For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me. Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’ What you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me. ’And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life” (my emphasis). 

We are righteous when we do what Jesus commanded about loving our neighbors as detailed in Matthew 25 about giving drink, visiting, clothing, and caring for the least of Jesus’ brothers. 

Is that the ticket to eternal life and salvation, simply being righteous?  It would seem so. However, consider the Catechism with its Roman numeral III: THE CHURCH IS CATHOLIC Outside the Church there is no salvation.  It’s right there in the Catechism.  This is a very bold claim. 

Some would say, especially those of other faiths, that this claim is quite arrogant, self-serving, and a development in Church early history and thinking to bolster the Catholic Church’s power and influence.  That’s a fair conclusion.

So, we are left with something to ponder. If we scatter abroad and give to the poor; our righteousness will endure forever.  Isn’t that salvation according to Jesus?  Our Church seems to have a different conclusion.  Again, something to ponder.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments