Skip to main content

Wisdom

I thank the LORD and I praise him; I bless the name of the LORD. When I was young and innocent, I sought wisdom openly in my prayer. I prayed for her before the temple, and I will seek her until the end, and she flourished as a grape soon ripe. My heart delighted in her. 

My feet kept to the level path because from earliest youth I was familiar with her. In the short time I paid heed. I met with great instruction. Since in this way I have profited, I will give my teacher grateful praise. I became resolutely devoted to her—the good I persistently strove for.

My soul was tormented in seeking her. My hand opened her gate, and I came to know her secrets. I directed my soul to her, and in cleanness I attained to her. (Sirach 51:12-20)

What is wisdom?  Wisdom means insight and having a deeper understanding of certain things. Wisdom has different meanings. It means intelligence, smartness, or the ability to differentiate right from wrong.  Now that’s a problem for us!  Knowing what is right and what is wrong. especially morally wrong.  

We do have Jesus’ teaching and commandments, along with the famous 10.  Unfortunately for many of us that wisdom has rotted on the vine.  The ripe grapes have not flourished.  In fact, the entire vine has withered.  Our divisive politics and polarized positions are the grape rotters and vine killers with hate and violence being the poison.  Social media and cable news are the watering cans.

Sirach portrays wisdom as a lover we seek to “know.”  Her secrets are to be learned through a provocative image – her “gate” that we open and through which we direct our soul.  If only.  Many of us use her and abuse her by “seeking her” for profit and advantage – not to distinguish right from wrong.  

Our hearts must delight in wisdom.  This means we must be smart and apply it for the betterment of our souls and those of our neighbors.  To do otherwise is to promote decay and stench.  Some soul-searching is critically needed, especially this year and next.  When we sniff the air around us let’s hope for the sweet smell of wine, not vinegar.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments