Skip to main content

Double-Yoked

Jesus said: "Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

I admit I’ve always misunderstood this reading.  How can the demanding tasks or labors assigned to us by Jesus be light and easy?  Very unlikely because he demands a change in our attitude towards other people and even ourselves.  Father Healey in his June 9 homily opened my eyes.

I’ve always envisioned an ox with its head in a yoke pulling a cart or wagon loaded with goods and provisions.  Now that’s tough going.  However, I missed the fact that Jesus was speaking of a double yoke with two oxen pulling side by side.  Moreover, Jesus is yoked to one side, and I (or you) on the other.  We pull together.

Jesus accompanies us on our journeys and gives us strength.  That which we cannot overcome by ourselves we can overcome together with his help.  He lightens our burdens; therefore, his yoke is easy.  He pulls, and we pull with him.  When we weaken, he keeps going and at times drags us long.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments