Skip to main content

Serenity Now






God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. 

The spiritual meaning of serenity is being calm, peaceful, or untroubled.  Few of us find that serenity.  Nevertheless, we pray for it.  We try not to be troubled by life’s up and downs.  Good luck with that.  Perhaps that’s why many of us say: “It is what it is.”  I’m guilty.  I suppose that’s one way to find serenity.

A better way, however, is to have the courage to change the things we can, such as asking for forgiveness when we have hurt someone.

I'm reminded of season 9 episode 3 (The Serenity Now) of the TV show, “Seinfeld." It focused on the idea that if we say the words, “serenity now,” anything stressful will just melt away, and that stuffing anger is a poor coping skill. All together now: "SERENITY NOW!"

Deacon David Pierce


Comments