Skip to main content

Baptism Of The Lord

This is what John the Baptist proclaimed: “One mightier than I is coming after me. I am not worthy to stoop and loosen the thongs of his sandals. I have baptized you with water; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” 

It happened in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized in the Jordan by John. On coming up out of the water he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit, like a dove, descending upon him. And a voice came from the heavens, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.” (Mark 1:7-11)

What does it mean to be baptized with the Holy Spirit?  It means we are committed to be a light for the nations, to open the eyes of the blind, to bring out prisoners from confinement, and from the dungeon those who live in darkness. We can accomplish this formidable set of tasks with the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit which are wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of God.  Unfortunately, many of us return these gifts unopened.  We are frightened of their obligations.  

When baptized do we understand the heavens are being torn open and the Spirit, like a dove, descends upon us?  Too many of us run for cover for fear of bird poop, and the voice from the heavens then says: “You are my beloved son (or daughter); with you I am not well pleased.”

Are we worthy to stoop and loosen the thongs of Jesus’s sandals?  Absolutely, provided we are moved by the Holy Spirit and do God’s will – willingly. 

Deacon David Pierce

Comments