Skip to main content

Sand Writing










I begin the new year with more Stephan Pastis’ Pearls Before Swine comics.  I cannot help myself.  They inspire me.  My New Year resolution is to limit my use of them.  Oops.  My first resolution goes down the drain.  The Holy Spirit speaks to me in strange ways.

Like my writings in Cape Cod beach sand, the waves erase my resolution.  Perhaps the ocean is reminding me to be serious this Sunday and stop with the puns.  Jesus told parables.  I cite puns.  Not quite the same.

Today is the Epiphany of the Lord.  Here is today’s reading: Rise up in splendor, Jerusalem!  Your light has come, the glory of the Lord shines upon you. See, darkness covers the earth, and thick clouds cover the peoples; but upon you the LORD shines, and over you appears his glory. 

Nations shall walk by your light, and kings by your shining radiance. Raise your eyes and look about; they all gather and come to you: your sons come from afar, and your daughters in the arms of their nurses.

Then you shall be radiant at what you see, your heart shall throb and overflow, for the riches of the sea shall be emptied out before you, the wealth of nations shall be brought to you. Caravans of camels shall fill you, dromedaries from Midian and Ephah; all from Sheba shall come bearing gold and frankincense and proclaiming the praises of the LORD. (Isaiah 60:1-6)

The story of the three kings appears to have originated from Isaiah, and we sing it as:

We three kings of orient are
Bearing gifts we traverse afar
Field and fountain
Moor and mountain
Following yonder star

O star of wonder, star of night
Star with royal beauty bright
Westward leading, still proceeding
Guide us to thy perfect light

Born a King on Bethlehem's plain
Gold I bring to crown Him again
King for ever, ceasing never
Over us all to reign

Frankincense to offer have I
Incense owns a Deity nigh
Prayer and praising
All men raising
Worship Him, God most high

O star of wonder, star of night
Star with royal beauty bright
Westward leading, still proceeding
Guide us to thy perfect light

Myrrh is mine
It's bitter perfume breathes
A life of gathering gloom
Sorrowing, sighing, bleeding, dying
Sealed in the stone cold tomb

Glorious now behold Him arise
King and God and Sacrifice
Al-le-lu-ia, al-le-lu-ia
Heaven to earth replies

O star of wonder, star of night
Star with royal beauty bright
Westward leading, still proceeding
Guide us to thy perfect light (end)

Let's have a wonderful and healthy New Year filled with stars of wonder westward leading, still proceeding guiding us to that perfect light we call Christ. This sand-written wish will never wash away!

Deacon David Pierce



Comments