Skip to main content

Our Companion

Job spoke, saying: Is not man's life on earth a drudgery? Are not his days those of hirelings? He is a slave who longs for the shade, a hireling who waits for his wages. So I have been assigned months of misery, and troubled nights have been allotted to me. If in bed I say, "When shall I arise?" then the night drags on; I am filled with restlessness until the dawn. My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle; they come to an end without hope. Remember that my life is like the wind; I shall not see happiness again. (Job 7:1-2, 6-7)

This reading from the Book of Job is a real downer.  Job is extremely depressed and despondent.  Of course, if the versions of his biblical story were true and applied to us, I suspect we’d also bemoan our fate, and we would loudly wail.  Job was a pawn in the game played by God and the Devil to see if Job’s horrible fate would cause him to turn against God.  The Devil said, “of course, no doubt.”  God said, “no way.”  

I suspect if we were the pawns, God would be checkmated.  The Devil would topple our King.   Read Job.  It’s a challenge to truly believe we would be able to withstand the Devil’s evil perpetrated against us with God’ permission and standing by idly.

There is a lot to Job, and book has been extensively studied.  Here is a summary of Job: “The book of Job gives an account of a righteous man who faithfully responded to difficult trials. Job's experience invites us to ponder difficult questions about the causes of suffering, the frailty of human existence, and the reasons to trust in God, even when life seems unfair.". “Trust in God” is a common expression.  It is even on our dollar bill.  That’s a bit ironic.

There are many causes of suffering, and human existence is frail.  These are givens, and there is no reason for us to ask for explanations.  When we cry out, “Why God? Why me?” (like Job), we simply are being human screaming out in anger and fear.  Some of us trust in God meaning there is a reason for our suffering and life’s unfairness that only God knows.  

Some of us believe God has nothing to do with our suffering.  Much is self-induced.  Much is happenstance related to our being made of perishable flesh and blood.  For many of us, God is simply our companion during our suffering and suffers along with us.  This is my preference and hope and that my prayers can give me some source of comfort and healing.  

Perhaps I just trust that God is always with me, and God doesn’t play games. During Mass and before I proclaim the Gospel, I extend my arms and say: “The Lord be with you!”  That applies to me as well.  

Our lives are like the wind.  We can never predict how they will blow.  All we can do is raise our sails and steer our rudders in a direction we hope they will go.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments